Simple Solutions to Lower Your Energy Bill
Now that we’re deep into the winter season, the cold weather and long nights are probably straining your home heating system and draining your wallet. The good news is it’s not hard to keep energy costs in check. In this month’s blog, the home comfort specialists at Main Stream Mechanical share tips on how you can lower your energy bill, even during the coldest winter weather.
Follow Good Energy Practices to Lower Your Energy Bill
- On a sunny day, set your thermostat a few degrees lower. Do this for eight hours a day and you’ll lower your energy bill up to 10% annually. This is great to do when you’re away at work so you don’t have to compromise your comfort. Do NOT do this in frigid temperatures or when there is a high chill factor, or your house could freeze up.
- If you feel the urge to turn up your thermostat, try adding another layer instead.
- Be mindful of other energy sources by turning off the lights and any unused electronics and appliances anytime you leave a room.
Transition to New Technologies
To lower your energy bill, consider using advanced technologies to provide more efficient and cost-effective heating, including:
- Smart and programmable thermostats, which help you manage temperature levels. Before purchasing a smart thermostat, check with the professionals at Main Stream Mechanical. We’ll make sure the model you select is compatible with your heating system.
- Tankless hot water heaters, which heat water on demand, instead of wasting energy to heat unused water.
- New furnace models with improved energy features, including hybrid heat, which allow you to reap the benefits of energy savings, while upgrading your home’s utility systems.
Keep it Clean
- To keep your home heating system running efficiently, make sure there are no obstructions in the flow of air coming from your returns and vents by regularly cleaning them and removing any furniture or objects that are blocking them.
- If your ducts are excessively clogged with dust and debris, or there are visible signs of mold growth, have them professionally cleaned. This will improve the efficiency of your heating system and preserve the quality of air that is coming into your home.
Schedule a Tune-up
An annual heating system check will ensure your unit is running at optimal efficiency. In addition, any minor issues can be detected and repaired before they turn into larger, more expensive problems.
Check out these Energy Hacks to Lower your Energy Bill
- Run your ceiling fan backwards. Change the directional switch on your ceiling fan to clockwise to circulate the warm air that hovers near your ceiling.
- On sunny days, keep your curtains and blinds open to let in the warm sun rays. This free heat will help supplement your heating system and lower your energy bill. (Don’t forget to close everything up at night, however.)
Heating System Maintenance and Repair in Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire
Wintertime doesn’t have to be uncomfortable or expensive. If these tips aren’t giving you the results you need, contact the home comfort specialists at Main Stream Mechanical for a FREE consultation to discuss your other options, including upgrading to Energy Star-certified HVAC equipment. We install, maintain, service, and repair residential and commercial heating, cooling, and plumbing systems in Haverhill, Amesbury, Newburyport, Rowley, Topsfield, Boxford, and other Massachusetts locations and throughout Southern New Hampshire.