5 Steps to Improve your AC Performance and Save Money
The summer season is the time when your air conditioning system needs to shine. With regular year-round maintenance, your AC unit will perform brilliantly on those hot summer days—when you need it most. In this month’s blog, the home comfort specialists at Main Stream Mechanical share five steps you can take to ensure your AC system is summer-ready.
AC Preventative Maintenance Tasks for Homeowners
- Change the filter. Dirty filters limit air flow, which can reduce the amount of cooling delivered to your home. Replacing a clogged filter can lower your air conditioner's energy consumption by as much as 15%. As a general rule, replace temporary filters, and clean permanent filters, every 6 months, or more frequently during peak use.
- Keep your outdoor condenser unit area clear. Remove loose vegetation and weeds frequently. Be sure shrubs and garden beds are planted at least two feet from your AC unit. By keeping the area around your unit clear, you’re giving it the space it needs to adequately pull in the air needed to efficiently cool your home.
- Clean your bathroom fans. Exhaust fans help maintain ideal temperature and air quality, but even the best bathroom fan can’t improve ventilation if it’s thick with dust and grime. At least twice a year, clean all bathroom fans thoroughly so they can work as efficiently as possible.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats allow you to set the temperature on a schedule that meets your family’s needs. By programming your home to be cooler when you’re home and warmer when you’re away, you allow it to perform at peak condition when you need it, while preserving it when you don’t.
- Schedule a full-service AC cleaning and inspection. Ideally, you should professionally clean and inspect your HVAC system twice a year—in spring and fall. Your home comfort specialist will address any concerns and:
• Check for the correct amount of refrigerant and test for leaks.
• Seal any duct leakage.
• Inspect electric terminals and clean and tighten connections.
• Oil motors and check belts.
Benefits of a Professional AC Check Up
When you work with a professional HVAC technician, your system receives a comprehensive maintenance program. As a homeowner, you also benefit from:
- Immediately Addressing any Issues - Your home comfort specialist can quickly identify and expedite the repair of small problems before they become larger, costlier issues.
- Warranty Protection - AC warranties often require seasonal maintenance from a professional HVAC technician. A failure to adhere to your manufacturer’s maintenance program could void the warranty.
- Local Knowledge- Your home comfort specialist has expertise on the impact the local environment has on your AC system. For example, if you live near the ocean, your technician will recommend frequent cleanings to remove the salt from sea breezes before it builds up and causes your system to rust out.
- Improved Efficiency - Removing buildup that may be clogging the condenser will make your system run more efficiently. The more buildup in the condenser, the longer it will take to cool down your home.
- Increased Lifespan - When you properly maintain your air conditioning system, it will have a longer lifespan.
HVAC Installation, Service, and Repair in NH and MA
If it's been a while since your last air conditioning system cleaning and inspection, or you have concerns about the operation of your unit, contact our home comfort specialists. We’ll give your system a thorough evaluation and prime it for those hot summer days.