Keeping Safe & Warm: Preparing for Winter Storms
The winter season is a time when New Englanders hunker down, especially during winter storms. Sure, it's been a mild New England winter so far, but Mother Nature's wrath is inevitable--making it a good idea to take precautions to keep you and your family safe and warm. In this month’s blog, the home comfort specialists at Main Stream Mechanical offer important steps you can take to prepare your home and your family before a storm arrives.
Keeping your Home Warm
- Winterize your home to ensure your heating resources are in good working order, this includes cleaning your chimney, tuning up your furnace or boiler, and adding insulation and sealing gaps in ductwork, windows, and doors.
- Insulate your home by installing storm doors and windows. Secure plastic on the inside of your windows to keep your home warm during frigid temperatures.
- Stock up on firewood or pellets if you have a wood burning fireplace or pellet stove.
- If you have to leave your home during the storm, set the thermostat to a minimum of 55 to 60 degrees to avoid damage to your pipes.
- Make sure you have adequate fuel for your portable generator, and follow the manufacturer’s safety protocols when in use.
Keeping your Family Safe
- Stay informed by signing up for local alerts and warnings. Keep news and weather sources close by to receive storm forecast updates, road closures information, and emergency instructions.
- Assemble an emergency kit that is stocked with essentials for the whole family, including your beloved pets.
- Install batteries in battery-powered or battery backed-up carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors.
- Keep your cell phone charged and your charger close by. Have a portable charger as a backup.
- Have a backup plan in case conditions worsen: locate emergency shelters and plan various routes to reach them in case of road closures and make sure your vehicle is in good working condition and has a full tank of gas.
- Create a communications plan for each family member so those who may not be at home know where to go when the storm begins.
Home Heating System Installation, Maintenance and Repair in NH and MA
Simplify your winter storm preparedness checklist by scheduling a home heating system check with one of our home comfort specialists. We provide heating system installation, maintenance, and repair in Haverhill, Amesbury, Newburyport, Rowley, Topsfield, Boxford, and other locations across Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire.