5 Plumbing Tips to Save You Money
In this month's news, our plumbing professionals from Main Stream Mechanical share 5 plumbing tips to save you money. By following these tips, you will avoid pouring your hard-earned money down the drain.
- Turn Off Your Taps: A dripping tap is more than annoying—it can add up to $100 to your annual water bill! To avoid wasting water, be sure to turn your taps completely off. If your faucets continue to leak, contact Main Stream Mechanical to repair or replace it.
- Reduce Your Flow: Did you know that a 10-minute shower with a conventional showerhead can use up to 42 gallons of water? Installing a low-flow showerhead is an inexpensive, easy way to significantly reduce your water consumption. If you need help installing a new showerhead, contact Main Stream Mechanical.
- Detect Hidden Leaks: Unfortunately, not all leaks can be detected by the naked eye. To determine if you have any hidden leaks, check your water meter before and after a specific period of time when you haven’t used any water. If the meter has changed, there may be a leak lurking somewhere in your home. Because hidden leaks can cost thousands of dollars in damage to your home, contact us if you suspect you have one.
- Keep Tabs On Your Toilet:
- If your toilet is making gurgling sounds, you may have a main drain problem. If your main drain was installed prior to 1980, it is likely made of clay and easily penetrated by tree roots. A gurgling toilet and wet marks around floor drains suggest that underground roots are placing pressure on your pipes. Have an experienced plumber fix the problem before your pipes break and cause costly damage.
- Test your toilet for leaks by dropping food coloring into the tank. If the color seeps into the toilet bowl within 10 to 15 minutes, your toilet has a leak and you should contact Main Stream Mechanical.
- Water Heater Woes: A standard water heater tank is usually warrantied for six or ten years. If you have an aging tank, you should periodically check for water around the base. Other indicators of a potential problem include rusty water, unusual noises such as popping or rumbling sounds, and unpleasant odors. If you’re experiencing any of these signs, our expert plumbers can assess the situation and make the appropriate recommendations.
With the new efficiency standards, tanks are now taller and wider. This may mean re-piping the new tank. Let our professionals ensure that the job is done right the first time.
Plumbing Service, Plumbing System Renovation, and Plumbing Remodeling in Massachusetts and New Hampshire
Whether you have a plumbing emergency or want to renovate or remodel your plumbing system, the experts at Main Stream Mechanical are here to serve you.
We travel throughout the Greater Newburyport, Boxford, Topsfield, Bedford, Lexington and Arlington areas in MA and the Greater Derry, Seabrook, Stratham, Dover, Exeter and Rye areas in NH. See our full-service area list for towns not noted. For a no-obligation consultation, call us at (978) 834-0849 or send us a message through our contact form.